To obtain a Class 5 licence, you must:
- be at least 16 years old;
- have the written Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority if you are under age 18.
There are also five steps to obtaining a Class 5 driver’s licence:
1. Registering for the driving course
The first step is to register for the driving course at a driving school recognized by the Association québécoise du transport et des routes (AQTR – Web site in French only).
The passenger vehicle driving course is mandatory, and includes both theoretical and practical components.
2. Getting a Class 5 learner’s licence
The second step is to get a passenger vehicle (Class 5) learner’s licence . Before going to an SAAQ service centre to get this licence, you are required to have passed Phase 1 of the driving course, which includes five theoretical modules, at a driving school recognized.
Read the procedure to follow to get a passenger vehicle (Class 5) learner’s licence.
With a passenger vehicle (Class 5) learner’s licence, you can access the road network under certain conditions.
3. Passing the knowledge test
The third step is passing the knowledge test. You can only take this test after holding a learner’s licence for at least 10 months. You can make an appointment for the knowledge test online or by using the SAAQ’s automated telephone service , where you will need to provide the file number that appears on your learner’s licence.
Read the procedure to follow for the knowledge test.
If you fail, you must wait at least 28 days before retaking the knowledge test.
4. Passing the road test
Passing the road test is the fourth step. To take this test, which you are required to pass in order to get a probationary licence, you must have:
- successfully completed a theoretical and practical driving course at a driving school recognized by the Association québécoise du transport et des routes (AQTR);
- held a Class 5 learner’s licence for at least 12 months;
- passed the knowledge test.
Read the procedure to follow for the road test to get a passenger vehicle (Class 5) probationary licence.
If you fail, you must wait at least 28 days before retaking the road test.
5. Probationary licence
Once you have passed the road test, you can get a probationary licence. This is the last step before getting your driver’s licence.